Buying a gift for your mom on Mother’s Day can be quite daunting. You need to strike the right balance between a gift which is thoughtful and something that fits in the budget.
Where women are concerned, you can never go wrong with jewelry, especially pearl jewelry. Young or old, house maker or a high flying business woman, all women admire pearls for their elegance and timeless beauty.
When you talk about pearl jewelry there are a variety of options, ranging from a simple pearl pendant to exquisite sets consisting of individual pieces of matching pearl earrings, pendant, necklace and bracelets. A small and thoughtful gift is a set of pearl earrings for Mother’s Day.
Here are some guidelines to help you select the best quality pearls:
- KnowledgeThe first and foremost thing you need to do is educate yourself about the different varieties of pearls available in the market. You need to understand where pearls are sourced from, what colors are available and how much they cost. For instance the world famous Japanese Akoya pearls are white colored and are one of the most expensive ones.
- LusterLuster is one of the most important factors while choosing pearls. A lustrous pearl will ensure that the jewelry you purchase will last your mother a lifetime. Further, the shinier the pearls, the less noticeable the other factors are, such as:
- Small defects in shape- an oval pearl will tend to look round due to the radiant glow
- Since pearls are naturally occurring gemstones, there are often minor differences in shade between the pearls. These differences are not noticeable if the pearls are shining.
- Pearls that glow create an optical illusion by making the size of the pearls look bigger than they actually are
- Skin TonePearls are available in different hues, ranging from simple white and pinks to more exotic eggplant, black and peacock green. However, not all colors look good on all skin tones. For instance a rose overlay highlights ivory skin tones, while the white ones look good on all skin tones.
- SizeWhen it comes to pearls, size does matter. Bigger pearls take a longer time to produce, hence they are more expensive than smaller ones. Also, remember that a round shaped pearl is priced higher compared to the others. Further, symmetrical shaped pearls, such as teardrops, should be evenly shaped.
- Grade: Pearls are graded from A+ to AAA, with A+ being the lowest grade. Remember to inquire about the grading and compare it with the price quoted for the product, to ensure that you are not being cheated.
- SurfacePearls have natural characteristics such as dots or dashes on their surface. This is common and not in anyone’s control. Thus a pearl which has a clean surface will command a higher market price.
These are just some tips to ensure that you gift your mom the best quality pearl earrings for Mother’s Day.
Latest posts by Emma (see all)
- The Best Pearls can be yours with Black Friday Sales - November 28, 2013
- Indulge in Cyber Monday Jewelry Sales to Take Advantage of the Best Offers - November 28, 2013
- Enhance Your Jewelry Collection with Thanksgiving Pearl Sales - November 28, 2013